How the Critics Work...

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bread Basket Deli; Waterford, Michigan


It has been a rough few days in our household, especially when it comes to eating.  I have been dealing with my chronic pancreatitis, my wife has been in the hospital with a back injury and it is Pesach (Passover), which means that I am not eating anything with leaven in it.  So my daughter and I were on the way to see my wife at the hospital when I decided what could be a more perfect place to eat then a Jewish-style deli.  I first started eating at the Oak Park branch of the Bread Basket Deli when I was just a kid with my Bubbi (Yiddish for Grandma).  I remember eating all the classics, things like corned beef and chopped liver sandwiches, giant new pickles bigger then your forearm, and my still-favorite desert, 7-layer cake.  So I was excited for my daughter to experience some of the food of my youth.

We arrived at the deli, which is a converted Taco Bell and walked to to a huge menu.  I, of course, was completely disappointed, since I shouldn't eat anything due to it being Passover and my having an angry pancreas.  Sarahfay had her favorite, a hard salami and cheese with mustard sandwich.  Of course, she loved it.  I do applaud Bread Basket Deli on their quality of salamis.  In fact, they offer three different grades of salami, each varying on hardness...impressive.



Bring Pesach I ordered Matzo Ball Soup.  Now I must be honest from the onset, I judge all matzo balls from my Aunt Sarah's.  I like my matzo balls to be rock hard and dense.  The deli's were huge and so fluffy they fell apart at the merest touch.  The flavor was so bland it was as it was not there at all.  The soup broth on the other hand was simply horrible.  I attempted to add salt and pepper to flavor the soup, but I just could not stomach the soup.

For my wife I ordered a Jewish deli classic, corned beef on rye with swiss cheese and Russian dressing.  On her first bit she was not sure, but with each bite she grew further impressed with the sandwich.  I did order the small sandwich and as such I was impressed with the amount of meat that was given.  I have to say that as I watched my wife eat that sandwich I did wish Passover was over.

Overall, I did find the Bread Basket Deli to be a classic deli.   The incident with the soup did seem to fill the employees with concern.  I tried to explain that I was a bit of a nit-pick when it came to my matzo balls, but they were insistent on a soup refund, I find that to be managers who listen to their customers.  

The restaurant was extremely clean.

The decor was as it could be for a tiny deli in a converted Taco Bell.

Ratings:

Service:                          *****
Food:                             **1/2
Affordability:                 **
Cleanliness:                    *****
Decor:                            **

Overall:                          **1/2

2 comments:

  1. Since it's not far from home we will have to give it a try. I only wish you'd said if they had 7 layer cake.... my favorite dessert of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes anonymous, they do have slices of 7-layer cake for sale. I cannot attest to its taste or price since I did not try it, but it sure looked good!

    ReplyDelete