How the Critics Work...

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Pita Way; Clarkston, Michigan



My wife Kolleen and I have always enjoyed Middle Eastern cuisine.  In fact, at another establishment we often frequent we would order a special Middle Eastern/Greek platter almost every time we eat there.  Today my wife surprised me with some take out from Pita Way, a small eat-in & carry out located at 6315 Sashabaw Rd (just south of I-75) in Clarkston, Michigan.  

As it often is  our restaurant choice today was aided by our membership in restaurant.com and the coupons they provide us for discount eating.  Remember, in addition to our medical  easting constraints we are also under the all too common financial noose that has hurt so many in today's economy.

As I was surprised by the food, I had no idea as to what food was coming, yet I was far from disappointed.
The first dish Kolleen ordered was my favorite of all Middle Eastern and Greek dishes, Grape Leaves.  These grape leaves were stuffed nicely with a cooked rice and meat and tomatoes; the flavor was delicious!  The grape leaves had the briny taste essential for all grape leaves, but it was not overpowering in any way.  The tahini sauce was also d-e-l-c-i-o-u-s.  I must be honest, I kind of think of myself as a connoisseur of grape leaves and I seriously have not tasted a better grape leave outside of Greektown in downtown Detroit.  The grape leaves may be ordered in one of two ways, meat or vegetarian.

Like most of the dishes at Pita Way the grape leaves may be ordered as a sandwich on pita bread or as a meal with yellow rice.  Extra meat is available.



The second meal that was ordered was the Chicken Kafta, which was ground chicken mixed with onions and parsley.  This meal was served as a sandwich.  The flavors of the chicken mixed with the taste of the  tahini worked well together.

The affordability of the meals was truly worth it as sandwiches ran at $4.99 and meals started at $5.79.  The cleanliness of the store was top notch.

Overall:

Service:                           ****
Food:                               ****
Affordability:                  ****
Cleanliness:                     *****
Decor:                             *** 

Overall:                           **** (4)

1 comment:

  1. Steve,
    That's great you two are doing this!!! If you ever need my two cents, just let me know, because food and I have a bit of history too! Great site, keep it rolling!!
    Gene

    ReplyDelete