How the Critics Work...

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Joe's Crab Shack; Auburn Hills, Michigan


I live in a "fun-to-eat" food family.  I have chronic pancreatitis, which means I eat low-fat foods, plus I am lactose intolerant.  Kolleen is severely allergic to shellfish and some paradise fruits like kiwi.  And Sarahfay is allergic to kiwi and is lactose intolerant when it comes to ice cream.  So when it comes to the eating of delicacies like crab and shrimp that dire task must fall to Sarahfay and myself. That's a shame...

It was just over a week ago when my daughter and I found ourselves at Joe's Crab Shack after our visit to Bass Pro Shop at Great Lakes Outlets in Auburn Hills, Michigan.  Joe's is one of those fun type of places where just being seated is an adventure.  The decor at Joe's can occupy one's mind for at least 15 minutes as the walls are covered with old pictures, signs and stuffed fish and sharks from the docks and sea.  The wait staff makes eating pretty fun as they come out to the floor to sing every 10 minutes or so.  On our trip our waitress even asked Sarahfay to come join the staff in a rendition of the song "At the Car Wash."  Unfortunately, Sarahfay was just a bit too embarrassed  but that would have been soooooooo cool!!!  Also pretty awesome in the decor was the kids playground out front.  I thought that might be pretty nice for a lot of families.


Sarahfay and I pretty much ordered the same thing, just in different sizes.  She got the kids Steampot and under for $10.00 it was a deal!  In that pot she had 6 crab legs, 4 large shrimp, redskin potatoes and a corn on the cob (Sarahfay likes to it calls it corn on the bone).  I had the Long Islander Steampot and it was much more expensive then I had thought when I ordered it; it was $23.95.  Yet, it had multiple crab legs, scallops (my favorite), mussels, redskin potatoes and corn on the cob.  Sarahfay and I both agreed this was one delicious meal.

The way the meal was served only enhanced the enjoyment of the dinner.  Instead of plates we were given a wax paper to destroy the shells on.  A communal bucket for the shell discards was placed in the center of the table.  The waitress also left a roll of paper towel on the table; believe me you will need this!  As for myself this meal was extra special since I got to teach Sarahfay the ins and out of how to crack and eat crab legs.

The cleanliness of Joe's was very nice.  I popped my head into the Men's Room just to take a look and it was well kept.

Overall I love Joe's, if anything would keep me away, other then my wife dying there, it would be the expensive prices.

Overall:

Service:                 ***** (5)
Food:                    ****(4)
Affordability:        **(2 1/2)
Cleanliness:          *****(5)
Decor:                   ****(4)

Overall:                 ****(4)


No comments:

Post a Comment